West Hartford Pet Sitters De-Skunking Tips
· LEAVE YOUR DOG OUTSIDE! Skunk spray is an oil that can permeate into every crevice of your home!
· Put on old clothes as you’ll probably need to throw them out – skunk oil is tough to remove from clothes and bedding.
· Where did the skunk spray your dog? If your dog has the type of hair you can trim or comb out, this will save you a lot of time.
· Use paper towels (only on affected areas) to soak up the oil on your dog’s coat before you wash him.
· Only wash the sprayed area and be sure to wash before the skunk spray dries.
· Try to keep no tears baby shampoo, baking soda and hydrogen peroxide (3%) on hand. Mix ingredients below and apply to dog’s affected areas:
o 1 qt. (32 oz) of (fresh, unopened) 3% hydrogen peroxide
o 1/4 cup (50 g) baking soda
o 1 – 2 tsp No-tears baby shampoo
Great store bought products include Nature’s Miracle Skunk Odor Remover (you can find at PetSmart or Walmart) or online Earth Friendly Skunk Odor Remover
· Avoid tomato juice as it will leave your dog’s coat red.