Spring is finally here! Warm weather, longer days and mud! Yes, muddy paws and smelly fur.
How do you prevent your exuberant dog from tracking mud and stinking up the house?
- Have him sit on a mat right when he gets inside. Offer treats of keep him on a leash if he’s inclined to go to his favorite bed or walk around the house.
- Keep pre-moistened, alcohol-free wipes stored in a bin right close to the door for a “dry” bath.
If you have a small dog, you can either give him a bath in the sink (preferably one in your basement) or bring him in the shower. Be careful he doesn’t jump out and shake or you’ll have an even bigger mess on your hands.
Larger dogs are a little more complicated. As long as the weather is nice, you can hose them off outside, but be sure to check the temperature. You don’t want your dog to suffer from hypothermia. Be sure to dry him off well if you don’t have a dryer. Good towels should do the trick and you should make sure he has comfortable bedding.
For the odor, you can try Fresh Dog Dry Shampoo Powder for Dogs and Puppies, All Natural. You can order it online at Amazon.com. It comes in an amazing Lavender Rosemary scent.
If you’re lucky to be working with a mobile groomer, you will just have to dry off your dog with a towel until your appointment (provided your dog isn’t caked in mud). We recommend soaking a towel in lukewarm water and treating muddy spots (like paws, under belly, etc. depending on the breed.
If you need an instant fix, there are self-serve Dog Wash Facilities including:
- Dirty Dog (located on Mill Street in Berlin). It’s a one-stop shop that also offers Grooming and more.
- Pet Valu – On 530 Bushy Hill Rd, Simsbury, CT 06070 (this is brand new)
Brick and Mortar Groomers:
- Honey’s Haven (West Hartford) They also offer single services like nail clipping.
- Bows & Bandanas Grooming Salon (Farmington) Tried and true.
- Ooh-La-La-A-Dog-Spa in Wethersfield (heard great things about the salon)
Mobile Groomers (benefit is convenience)
- Aussie Pet Mobile serving the Farmington Valley – This has been tried by us and people and dog approved! Bonus: they do large dogs too and we have used their service and they are both human and canine approved!
- Best in Show Pet Spa (Windsor Locks) We haven’t tried, but heard great things from clients)
Here’s a great article if you need to remove mud from carpets! http://carterscarpet.com/how-to-remove-muddy-paw-prints-from-carpet/