According to the site The Dog Training Secret there is a magical formula to do this:
1) You have to make your dog learn that he can be a dog WHEN you tell him he can.
Huh? Basically what that means is the dog can sniff if he’d like, but the moment you give him a command he needs to obey it.
“You can be a dog when I tell you that you can, and that means you can sniff if you’d like; However you have to adhere to obedience the moment I give you a command (say I see a skateboarder coming).
2) Your dog should NOT be allowed to pull NO MATTER WHAT!!
3) Start off by teaching basic obedience commands and set your dog up for SUCCESS.
4) Begin at home where it’s easier for your dog to pay attention. There are no outside distractions.
5) After your dog has obeyed many commands (and you’ve mixed them up) head to the park!
6) On the way there, make sure your dog obeys commands and doesn’t pull.
7) When he’s at the park, allow him to sniff.
8) On the way back, practice obedience and good leash walking.
According to the dog trainer, “By starting out with obedience you are better setting your dog’s mindset and his ability to be successful. You start out with work, reward with a little sniffing, then end with some obedience.”
If you can’t get obedience all the way to the park, then your dog is not ready for the reward of sniffing while he is there!
Good Leash Manners will be the subject of our next blog.