Who ever said you can’t teach an old cat new tricks? Uh, no one ever! Just ask the amazing Acro-Cats & Rock Cats a traveling feline circus led by cat lover and trainer, Samantha Martin, who proves the amazing effects of clicker training and the incredible capabilities of our feline friends. Although cats may not be as easy to train as people pleasing dogs, it is very possible. From roll over to using the toilet to playing the drums, cats are well equipped to perform complex stunts. Now maybe your cat won’t run off with the circus, literally, here are some cat training tips and facts.
According to the ASPCA, step one is to acknowledge and account for the nature of the feline personality. Unlike dogs, cats were initially domesticated to kill rodents not to necessarily work in tandem with people. Therefore realizing their independent nature it is important to discover what will really motivate your cat.
- Use yummy treats! Try different things and monitor how your feline responds.
- Training will encourage mind and body stimulation, prompting a more fun, exciting, healthy and fulfilled life
- Taking the time to train will also reinforce the bond between you and cat
- Cats are far-sighted as they are not able to see things up close very well, when treat training, let them sniff the treat, hold in an open palm position or throw treat on floor.
- Use a clicker (or a pen) and click to reinforce correct behavior then reward with treat. They will quickly learn through repetition, just be sure to click at the exact time the good behavior is performed.
- Do not punish the cat, if your feline begins to experience stress not only will training not work, but you may risk future health problems.
What can your cat do? Send in cat trick videos and we will showcase your cat’s skills at www.westhartfordpetsitters.com!